Every meal application translates to additional funding for our school district.
- Technology in schools;
- After school programs;
- Counseling services; and
- Free school lunches.
Families that fill out a meal application may also be eligible to receive the following benefits:
- Free annual bus passes;
- Lower Advanced Placement (AP) testing fees;
- Discounts of $30 or $75 per month on their internet bills; and
- $100 discount to purchase a laptop, desktop computer or tablet.
Contact South San Francisco Unified School District’s Nutrition Services Department with questions at 650-877-8716.
Requirements for School Meal Application
- A new application must be submitted every new school year, using the current form for that school year.
- Only one (1) application per family is allowed.
- Meal applications are processed throughout the school year, but it is best to submit new meal applications as early as possible in order to maintain students' current eligibility status.
- Families who have received a letter stating that their student is "directly certified" do NOT need to complete a new application.
SSFUSD serves a menu of fresh, healthy and appealing daily meals that meet or exceed the nutritional needs of students and fully comply with state and federal requirements.
The nutrition requirements are based on dietary guidelines established by the American Academy of Medicine and administered through the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
Free Breakfast and Lunch
Starting in the fall of 2022, all meals served in California K-12 public schools are free of charge to all students enrolled in the 2022-23 school year, regardless of family income. This includes breakfast and lunch.
However, the State of California still requires individual families to submit meal applications for accounting purposes.